Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Worm Factory

3 weeks ago my wife bought me an early birthday gift. She got me The Worm Factory and I love it. I put it together in about 20 minutes. The first steps are to take it out of the shipping box and assemble it. The instructions were simple and easy to understand. I will not bore you with the instructions but, I will show some pictures of the install process.


The next step is to prepare the bedding for the worms. This kit comes with coconut coir and strips of newspaper. All that is needed is a layer of newspaper sheets unfolded and enough to cover the bottom of the tray. Next I soaked the coir in warm water for about 20 minutes. After the coir was ready, I mixed in the newspaper and some compost from my bins. Once mixed in I added this mix to the tray. I then added tow large handfuls of rotten vegetable matter and covered with several more sheets of water.


Once the worms arrive, I added them to the worm factory. Once I added the worms to the factory I then added a cup of water to the bin.

When you are ready to close up the bin, add several more sheets on top of the worms. The worms will look small and skinny, but once they are refrigerated and had some time to much on the debris in the bin they will fatten back up. In about a week, check on your worms and make sure they are doing okay. If the worms are doing well, most of the food will be gone and add food as needed. Once a week add a cup of water to the bin.

1 comment:

  1. Hello!

    My name is Hukumaru.

    I think your website is wonderful.

    Please link to this site

    My web site address is below.

    If you would like to link to my site,my URL is below.

    Bonsai Garden

    Regards.

    ReplyDelete