Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Yesterday I did my First Staining project.

Late yesterday, I decided to stain my porch screen door. Originally when we rented the house it had a nice screened in porch but it did not have a screen door or any type door so it was pointless to have a screened in porch and do to the mosquitoes we could not use the porch.


One day my wife and I went to one of the big box stores and purchased a cheap unfinished screen door and had it cut down to the correct size. We also bought a fancy screen door brushed nickel door handles and hook lock. The next day I installed the hardware and put the door up. About two years later, the door started to look kinda shabby. I was also worried that the door would start to rot since the door was not treated for the weather.

So late yesterday evening, I decided to remove the hardware, the screen, and sand down the old wood. Once that was that was completed, cleaned and prepped the area for staining. I then got a cheap set of all purpose paint brushes and small can of stain. All together it took about 2 hours to complete the project. Tonight after work, I will inspect my handy work and decide if it needs another coat. If it does this time I will pull out the trusty saw horses and remove the door and hinges and add another coat.

Maybe tomorrow I will post a picture of the door once it has had time to dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment