Sunday, March 23, 2008

This is What Happens When You Do NOT Have Enough Pots

This weekend I found it was time to move my tomato Beef Steaks from the seedling pot to a bigger home. When I looked closer I did not have 6 plants but I had 12 plants and I only had 4 pots for the transplant.

If it was a month from now I would just plant them outside in the yard and get a head start. But here in Dallas we could still have another freeze before the end of April. In fact, tonight we will have a low of 37 degrees. That is just a tad to cold for my tomatoes that are used to 75 to 85 degrees in my seed closest.

So I went to my recycle bin and grabbed six Sunny D 1 gallon jugs. I cut the tops off just as the pot turns inward. I then took a screw driver and a rubber mallet and punch a bunch of holes in the bottom for drainage. I then mixed my own personal seed starting/cutting mix and transplantted my tomatoes into any container big enough to hold them for another month.

Here are the results. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment